Thursday, June 10, 2010


In my previous post I mentioned Jennifer McLagan's book Fat that has become my endless source of information. After reading the recipes and helpful facts on butter, lard and animal fat I feel ready to find myself a local butcher and start embracing my Epicurean pleasures.

(Duck Rillettes)

(Salted Butter Tart)

I came across this book when searching through the James Beard Foundation's list of cookbook winners and recommendations. Of course the title caught my attention immediately. I now understand what my mother was talking about when she said that the dairy products in the grocery stores do not compare with the ones she grew up with. Our egg yolks are more yellow than orange and our butter is pale rather than golden. My goal this summer: to visit a local dairy farm and experience what Canadian cows have to offer. I know I won't be disappointed.

Jennifer McLagan's website: http://www.jennifermclagan.com/index.htm

2 comments:

  1. Fat is good for you but in balance. I just worry right now about the poison that the animal's fat stores. The caws have no choice but offer you some anitbiotics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that balance is important. Unfortunately, many of our animals have been bred to produce less fat. This has caused the meat to lose the Omega 3 (and flavor) that we need in our diets.

    ReplyDelete